Sunday, September 5, 2010

September 5

Today is September 5, 2010.  Probably very insignificant to most people, perhaps not - there are a lot of stories out there!  September 5th was my dad's earthly birthday...the day we celebrated his life every year.  One birthday I remember asking him what his favorite color was (I wanted to make a card for him and this was a much needed piece of information in my little world).  He told me brown..."brown?!" I thought?!  Yuck!  I asked him why he liked brown and I don't remember the exact answer, but it had to do with the leaves and fall.   Recently my 7 year old daughter wanted to know MY favorite color.  I looked around our house and then I thought of the colors of most my clothes..."I guess I wear a lot of brown and I like neutral colors, I have brown eyes...so I guess my favorite color is brown or black."  *gasp*  My daughter was probably thinking "Yuck!" lol   It wasn't until just today that I put two and two together.   I had told her my honest answer and I just today remembered that time I had asked my dad his favorite color.  I can't count how many times God has used little moments like that to bring a smile to my heart.  He is so good.
Back to September 5th, that was also my due date for Olivia who just turned "5" this week.  If you want to really stretch it we could say that 5+5=10 which is the year.  Those of you who knew my dad will surely be laughing at this because he was always coming up with funny ways to remember things.  He also had a little motto that he used with his struggle against MS - "alive to 55" he would say. :)  I can hear it now.  He would have been 56 today...
My Dad's last birthday with us - 2008

4 comments:

  1. Sarah, thanks for sharing your memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You share such sweet memories of your father. I love it.
    My due date for R was also 9/5, but she was born 8/29.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, Sarah!! I can see myself writing a post like this one day. Since mom died, her birthday in May was actually the roughest day for me. Like you said, it's the day we celebrated their lives! Thankfully, you're dad's soul WAS alive on 55! :) Oh, and I'm thinking his favorite color being brown might also have something to do with chocolate??? That's definitely a Hudson thing!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must miss him so much! It is wonderful to have those memories come back at just the time you need them. I am laughing at the whole favorite color discussion.

    ReplyDelete