Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Watermelon Smoothies and Grandma's Glassware

Last week we had one of those humid and 90's day(s).  It was so hot even food didn't sound good, but boy oh boy did liquids or iced drinks sound heavenly!  A friend of mine had posted on her blog a recipe for watermelon smoothies.  We had some watermelon that I had purposely saved (froze) from the 4th of July with the anticipation of making these.  We used the Vita-mix ALOT the past few weeks!

Ingredients:
4 1/2 cups of watermelon, cubed and frozen
1 banana
3/4 cup water
juice of one lemon
1-2 Tablespoon of maple syrup, agave nectar or sugar *optional

Now the story behind the glassware...when my grandparents (my mom's parents) moved from their farmhouse my grandma gave each of us girls some dishes and vases.  I absolutely loved these glasses, but to be honest because of their unique shape I have never used them!  These were the perfect dainty thing for our "girly" beverage.  I also love the fact that they have history.  The box that they were in had this logo:
The Gilmore Brothers Department Store closed its doors in 1999 after 118 years of serving the Kalamazoo community.  To read more about this fascinating company and its origins click here.
  
~The girls enjoying their drinks~

1 comment:

  1. Looks like the start of a new tradition!

    ReplyDelete